- Study programme and level: University degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Janez Stare, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- analyze the differences between leadership and management
- distinguish between the theories, approaches and models of leadership
- assess the impact of leaders to employees
- justify liability and responsibility of leaders
- find details and differences of leadership in public and private sector.
- analytical capability assessment area of leadership development
- ability to understand the leadership as management of social situations
- understanding leaders power
- understanding the impact of leaders on the work situation
- understanding the basic features of leadership in public administration.
- Definitions of leadership
- Leadership and Management
- Leadership and management of social situations
- Theories and approaches to leadership
- Selection and development leaders
- Leader and power
- Leader and leadership motivation
- Impact leaders to the create of organizational culture
- Impact leaders to create the organizational climate
- Values and ethics leadership
- Factors for successful leadership
- Leadership in public administration
- Stare, J., Seljak, J. Vodenje ljudi v upravi: povezanost osebnostnega potenciala za vodenje z uspešnostjo vodenje. Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana, 2006, 292 str.
- Northouse, P., G.: Leadership theory and practice. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, 2003, izbrana poglavja, 100 str.
- Sadler, Philip, Leadership. MBA Maserclass, Kogan Page, London, 2003, 195. str..
4. Intended learning outcomes
The student knows the definition and content leadership, and legality of leadership development. Understand the importance and role of leaders, their influence on the work situation, creating the right work environment and aspects of successful leadership.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work
- (group) presentation
- case study
- problem based learning
- individual tutorial
- written (and / or oral) examination, may be conducted with two term examinations (both positive) (70%)
- coursework (30%)
- Final assessment of the course is the sum of the time commitments (oral exam, written exam) and other partial estimates of commitments for this period.