1611 Basics of Administrative Procedure
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1st Cycle
- 2nd year
- 8 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 60
- Tutorial: 30
- Other forms of study: 70
- Individual work: 80
- Lecturer: Polonca Kovač, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- know basis of administrative procedural law;
- apply knowledge to interconnect principles and operational rules in practice in typical procedural acts;
- solve easier problems in administrative procedure;
- understand aim of administrative procedure and system of judicial review over administration by analysing selected cases,
- know and clarify proceedings and notions in professional language.
- understanding general elements and structure of administrative procedure and protection of public interest and rights of the parties;
- problem-solving of individual working problems,
- skills’ development of administrative procedures’ conduct in less complex matters,
- ability of analysis of easier procedural problem and its resolution,
- professional communication and ethics development.
- Categorisation of administrative procedural law and administrative procedures in social development. Good administration. Types of acts in administrative relations.
- Notion of administrative matter and public interest. Use of GAPA – subsidiary, mutatis mutandis. General and special procedures.
- Basic principles as procedural standards. Their application in selected cases.
- Participants in proceedings: administrative body/official, parties, etc.
- Communication in procedure: individual rules and application in practice. Access to information and data protection.
- Deadlines, order and costs in procedure – rules and cases.
- Phases of proceeding at first instance. Initiation of proceeding and disposal.
- Fact establishing and evidence giving proceedings.
- Decisions and conclusions: types, elements, characteristics.
- Legal remedies. Appeal procedure. Basic of enforcement.
- Upravna inšpekcija.
- Forms and basic rules on judicial review upon individual administrative acts.
- Jerovšek, T., in Kovač, P. (2017). Upravni postopek in upravni spor. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 300 str.
- Kovač, P., Sever, T. (2018). Praktikum za upravni postopek in upravni spor. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo.
- Upravna svetovalnica. www.fu.uni-lj.si/mediawiki/index.php.
- Kovač, P. (2016). The requirements and limits of the codification of administrative procedures in Slovenia according to European trends. Review of central and east European law, 41(3/4) 427-461.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding
- apply theoretical knowledge of fundamentals of principles and rules of General Administrative Procedure Act in practise autonomously in resolution of easier procedural problems.
- Study topic related professional sources.
- Manage to conduct less complex acts and prepare basic documents in proceeding.
- Apply administrative procedure as work process in relation toward parties.
- Understand the role and meaning of judicial review over administration.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- student preparations for lectures
- student preparations for tutorials
- e-learning, case studies, project work, etc.
- intercurricural collaboration
- guest lectures by practitioners
- written or oral exam (60%)
- interim assignments and active participation in lectures/tutorials (20%)
- test/colloquium (20%)