663 Public Sector Management
- Study programme and level: University degree programme Public sector governance 1st Cycle
- 1st year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Other forms of study: 15
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Primož Pevcin, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- uses basic concepts of management for decision-making process in the public sector,
- applies fundamental managerial concepts for the efficient and effective process of management,
- uses decision-making methods for problem solving,
- relates managerial problems in private and public organisations,
- demonstrates the significance of management development in public organisations.
- To understand differences in public, private and non-profit management,
- To understand the effect of macro and micro elements affecting the operation and management in public sector,
- To deal with information in order to make decisions and implement changes in organisations,
- To undestand the concepts of efficiency, effectiveness and quality in public sector organisations.
- To marry theory and practice of management and change management implementation in public sector.
- Introduction to public management
- Management techniques and functions
- Decision-making process
- Public, private and non-profit organizations and specifics of public sector management and organization
- NPM ideology
- Measuring efficiency and effectiveness in the public sector, performance management
- Quality assurance and management in public organizations
- Analysis of the environment of public organizations, institutional isomorphism and hybrid organizations
- Politics and management of public organizations
- Strategies and changes in public organizations
- Management in non-profit (third sector) organizations
- Marketing in public and non-profit organizations
- PEVCIN, P. (2011). Menedžment javnega sektorja. Fakulteta za upravo, 2011.
- RAINEY, Hal G. (2009). Understanding and Managing Public Organizations. 4th Edition. Jossey Bass. Chapters 1-5, 13-14.
- WORTH, Michael J. (2009). Nonprofit Management: Principles and Practice. SAGE, London. Chapters 1-9.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will be able to structure and solve managerial problems in public organisations and will understand and know needed methods for efficient decison-making and change implementation in public organisations at the end of a period of learning.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work
- project work
- seminar paper
- (group) presentation
- case study
- problem based learning
- Written exam period (80%)
- Seminar paper (20%)