787 Public Policy Analysis
- Study programme and level: University degree programme Public sector governance 1st Cycle
- 1st year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Other forms of study: 15
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Mitja Durnik, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- comprehension of the policy analysis in relation to studying the public administration and possible integration of the disciplines;
- capability to choose and apply theoretical concepts and methods of policy analysis in resolving expert and working problems;
- ability to align policy analysis with other academic disciplines and understanding the way how they are included in basic research approach in policy analysis;
- awareness of the issue how crucial is the ongoing training and new knowledge in policy analysis field for development of the future career in public administration, public sector and wider.
- understanding of the role of values in research;
- understanding the structure of the policy problem
- basic knowledge of using computer software in policy analysis (policy network analysis - »Discourse Network Analyzer DNA« discourse analysis - »QD Miner«, statistics-SPSS);
- distinction between qualitative and quantitative methods and understanding of the use of combined methods in policy analysis
- analysis and comprehension of more basic problems from everyday praxis
- understanding of policy problems: multi-level and multi-dimensional parameters.
- Public policy: basic definitions, models and principles;
- Actors in public policy making (special emphasis on the role of bureaucracy);
- Policy process and policy cycle (macro, meso, and micro level analysis);
- Theories of power in policy analysis;
- Policy paradigms and policy changes
- Methodology for policy analysis: quantitative analysis and positivism; the role of argument and interpretive concepts; mixed methods in policy analysis;
- Policy Networks;
- The role of values in policy analysis;
- The role of evaluation techniques in policy analysis;
- Case studies: health policy, development policy;
- Power of multidisciplinary approach: policy analysis and political economy;
- Basic usage of computer software for policy analysis (policy network analysis - »Discourse Network Analyzer DNA« discourse analysis - »QD Miner«, statistics-SPSS).
- Fink-Hafner, Danica (ur.). 2007. Uvod v analizo politik : teorije, koncepti, načela. Fakulteta za družbene vede (celotna knjiga 217 strani; izbrana poglavja cca. 100 strani).
- Dunn, William N. 2012. Public Policy Analysis (international edition). Pearson Education, Limited (celotna knjiga 480 stani, izbrana poglavja cca. 150 strani).
- Wiemer, David L. in Aidan R. Wining. 2008. 2011. Policy Analysis. Longman (celotna knjiga 473 strani; izbrana poglavja cca. 150 strani).
- Howlett, Michael, Anthony Perl in M. Ramesh. Studying Public Policy: Policy Cycles and Policy Subsystems. Oxford University Press. (celotna knjiga 298 strani; izbrana poglavja cca. 150 strani).
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- proper use of methodological approaches;
- scientific writing at the elementary level
- proper use of resources for the study and analysis;
- understanding of the basic concepts and models of policy analysis.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work;
- use of e-communication tools to solve practical problems;
- field trip (visiting institutions at the national and European level);
- seminar paper;
- group presentations;
- problem based learning.
- written exam(50%)
- coursework and active class participation (20%)
- seminar work paper (30%)