707 Practicum: Data Management
- Study programme and level: University degree programme Public sector governance 1st Cycle
- 2nd or 3rd year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 20
- Other forms of study: 70
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Mitja Dečman, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- student understands and uses data modelling for data storage in computer database
- student is able to use software tools for database management in real situations
- student knows methods and tools for data querying and analysing
- student know software tools for data transfer from database to web environment
- student understands concepts of web presentation of data and information
- student can break down and analyse web presentations.
- student develops capabilities of usage of information and telecommunication technology for gathering, management and distribution of data.
- Student develops capability of planning, analysing and restructuring of information systems.
- The impact of information technology on the process of gathering, analysis and presenting data and information
- Crafting and implementing entity-relationship data models
- Query languages for accessing and analysing data (SQL, QBE, and OLAP)
- Practical exercises of building simple databases and formulating queries for accessing and analysing stored data
- Introducing Web technologies and Web presentation approaches
- Mark-up languages for presenting data on the Web (HTML and XML)
- Practical implementation of simple Web presentations of data
- DEČMAN, Mitja (2016). Praktikum: upravljanje s podatki, prosojnice. Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana.
- Kroenke, D., Auer, D. (2010) Database Concepts. Prentice Hall, Boston, ZDA. Izbrana poglavja, 150 str.
- Baloh, P., Vrečar, P. (2013), Ob praktičnih primerih skozi Microsoft Office 2013, Ljubljana: Svetovanje in založništvo P. Baloh, Izbrana poglavja, 120 str.
- Rainer, R. K., Turban, Efraim, Potter, R. E. (2007) Introduction to information systems: supporting and transforming business, Hoboken, NJ : Wiley, cop. 2007, Izbrana poglavja, 411 str.
- Monk, E., Brady, J., Coo, G. S., (2012), Problem Solving Cases in Microsoft Access and Excel, Cengage Learning, 304 str. Izbrana poglavja, 150 str.
4. Intended learning outcomes
- Knows and uses practical approach toward data modelling towards databases.
- Knows office software tools and specific database management office tools.
- Can independently develop a simple database and analytically manage data
- Knows the concepts of web presentation of data and information.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work in laboratory
- written or spoken exam (40%)
- practical exam (60%)