63703 Computer Architecture
- Study programme and level: Interdisciplinary University Study Programme in Administrative Information Science - 1st Cycle
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Igor Škraba, MSc
1. Objectives and competences
Give structure and operation of a computer from programmer's perspective. Students should get knowledge of basic principles of computer architecture.
- Milestones in computer architecture
- The von Neumann architecture and basic principles of operation
- Instructions and instruction set architectures, CISC and RISC
- Numerical and nonnumerical operands
- Central processing unit
- Memory hierarchies
- Input/Output system
- D. Kodek, Arhitektura in organizacija računalniških sistemov, Bi-Tim, 2008.
- D. A. Patterson, J. L. Hennessy, Computer Organization and Design, Fifth Edition: The Hardware/Software Interface (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design), 2013.
- Prosojnice na vsakoletni učilnici.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- Knowledge and understanding of design principles for modern computers and instruction set architectures.
- Understanding of the possibilities and limitations of what computer technology can and cannot do.
- Improve the condition that majority of users consider computer as a black box.
- Complements the knowledge for software engineering and digital logic.
5. Learning and teaching methods
Lectures and laboratory exercises. Lab work on pipelined CPE simulator and ARM based microprocessor system.
Type (examination, oral, coursework, project):
- Continuing (homework, midterm exams, project work) (50 %)
- Final (written and oral exam) (50 %)
Grading: 6-10 pass, 1-5 fail.