63271 Introduction to Graphic Design
- Study programme and level: Interdisciplinary University Study Programme in Administrative Information Science - 1st Cycle
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Narvika Bovcon, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
The aim of the course is to introduce the students of computer and information sciences to the elements of visual language and the strategies of visual communication. The students will employ design methods to conceptualize new media interfaces, they will be able to effectively use graphic design elements to visualize data and present the contents of electronic documents and web pages.
- Selected topics from the history of graphic design. Art and science, design and technology.
- Graphic elements, colour theory, composition – practical work: visual studies, colour studies.
- Typography: the basics and the principles of use.
- Structuring of the graphic layout with visual and typographic elements.
- Digital image and the principles of montage of images.
- Structuring of the message according to the communication medium and with respect to the social context of the communication.
- The concept of interactivity in new media.
- Designing of user interfaces: – 1. with focus on the innovative concept of the human-computer interaction design; – 2. with focus on the effective visual communication of the graphical elements of the interface that guides the interaction.
- Data visualisation. Project work.
- The Adobe software package: practical work.
- Data Flow: Visualising Information in Graphic Design. Berlin: Gestalten, 2008.
- Flusser, V. Digitalni videz. Ljubljana: Študentska založba, 2000.
- Manovich, L. The Language of New Media. MIT, 2001.
- Samara, T. Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual. Rockport Publishers, 2007.
- Strehovec, J. Besedilo in novi mediji. Ljubljana: LUD Literatura, 2007.
- Tufte, R. E. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Graphics Press LLC, 2001.
- Virtualni učitelji in priročniki za programe Adobe: Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- The laws of visual expression: the elements of visual language and the principles of image composition. The use of typography. Media specific design and design for the screen. The structure of communication and its dependence on the communicative code and the target audience.
- The use of graphic design methods and the design software for designing web pages, digital documents, computer interfaces, visualising information.
- The understanding of graphic design process as an integral part of the human-computer interaction design.
- Problem solving in human friendly approaches to interface design and digital document design, which draws on graphic design methods.
5. Learning and teaching methods
Lectures, practical work in school, project work at home. Emphasis on continuous work parallel to the lectures. Team-work experience on a complex multimedia design project.
- Type (examination, oral, coursework, project) (50 %)
- Continuing (homework, midterm exams, project work). (50 %)
Grading: 6-10 pass, 1-5 fail.