771 Economics of Public Enterprises and Non-Profit Organisations
- Study programme and level: University degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Primož Pevcin, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- distinguishes the differences in the functioning of private, public, for-profit and not-for-profit organisations,
- relates historical, legal, political, and socio-economic factors, which affect the operation of public enterprises and non-profit organisations,
- uses the knowledge in order to analyse peformance of public enterprise and non-profit organisation,
- solves case study on business problems associated with particular organisation,
- constructs the fundamentals of business economics and planning in organisations.
- to generalise theory and practice of public enterprise and non-profit organisation functioning.
- to understanding and recognition of the microeconomic functions of the company, either profit or non-profit,
- to interpret contemporary issues in business and managerial economics,
- to apply microeconomic tools for corporate planning, organising and financing,
- to place in context advancements in business studies related to public and non-profit organisation operation,
- to solve problems related to functioning of public enterprises and non-profit organisations.
- Definition of public (and private) enterprise and non-profit organisation
- Business and managerial economics in the public sector
- Activities and theory of the firm
- Basic issues in corporate finances
- Costs and pricing policy
- Ownership and corporate governance in public enterprises and non-profit organisations
- Strategic decisions in public enterprises and non-profit organisations
- Public-private partnerships and public utilities
- Social policy related to public enterprises and non-profit organisations
- Performance measurement and analysis
- Commercialisation of not-for-profit activities
- Investments in public and non-profit organisations
- PEVCIN, Primož (2010). Ekonomika javnih podjetij in zavodov. Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana. 216 str.
- TAYLOR, Rupert (2010). Third Sector Research. Springer, Heildelberg. Poglavja iz ekonomskih vprašanj delovanja neprofitnih organizacij, 60 str. (poglavja 2, 3, 4, 6 in 11)
- JONES, Trefor (2004). Business economics and managerial decision making. Wiley, London. Izbrana poglavja iz teorije firme in strateškega odločanja v podjetju, 140 str.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will be able to understand business economics and corporate finance issues particularly related to public enterprises and non-profit organisations, will know to solve particular strategic, tactical or investment problem in organisation, and will be able to demonstrate competent judgements in business planning subjected to limited availability of information at the end of a period of learning.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work
- case study
- problem based learning
Written exam (100%)