661 Comparative Politics in Contemporary World
- Study programme and level: University degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Bogomil Ferfila, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- student understands and uses basic methods of comparative policies;
- student understands and uses research approaches to examine policies in contemporary world;
- student analyzes new phenomena and policies around the world;
- student deconstructs different combinations of events, processes and institutions;
- student compares countries and public policies in an interdisciplinary way.
- able to search, use and organize information about public policies in contemporary world;
- able to seize and understand public policies in contemporary world;
- able to analytically examine and to compare public policies;
- able to research with application of basic methods and research approaches of public policies;
- able to combine theory and practice;
- able to formulate and analyse problems in the area of public policies;
- able to reason and compare public policies;
- able to provide the solutions for identified problems in the area of public policies;
- able to understand and estimate new phenomena in the area of public policies;
- able to place public policies in an interdisciplinary context.
- World as natural, biological and social entity.
- Ecological problems and ecological policies.
- World in historical, economical and political perspective.
- Comparative, systematic and “area study” approach.
- Economical and political segmentation of the world: developed countries, emerging countries, developing countries.
- Europe and the world.
- Main non-European states.
- Comparison of economical, security, administration, development and systemic policies around the world.
- Democratic and undemocratic political regimes.
- Differences among political institutions.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Politično komuniciranje. Ljubljana 2002; izbrana poglavja.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Demokratične in nedemokratične države. Ljubljana 2008; izbrana poglavja.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Primerjalne politike v sodobnem svetu. Aplikativno-empirični del: razvite države sveta. Ljubljana, 2009; izbrana poglavja.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Primerjalne politike v sodobnem svetu. Aplikativno-empirični del: države v razvoju. Ljubljana, 2010; izbrana poglavja.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Political communication. Ljubljana 2002; selected chapters.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Democratic and undemocratic states. Ljubljana 2008; selected chapters.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Comparative politics in contemporary world. Applied and empirical part:
- Developed Countries. Ljubljana 2009; selected chapters.
- Ferfila, Bogomil: Comparative politics in contemporary world. Applied and empirical part: Developing Countries. Ljubljana, 2010; selected chapters.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Students will be able to perceive and understand public policies of contemporary world. They will gain basic knowledge for analytical and comparative research on the basis of fundamental methods and research approaches for comparing policies. On the basis of this knowledge, students will be able to combine theory and practice, identify and provide solutions, understand new phenomena in the contemporary world and will be able to interdisciplinary place public policies.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work
- group seminar paper
- group presentation
- practical cases
- written exam or mid-term exams (80%)
- reports (5%)
- seminar work paper (10%)
- active class participation (5%)