641 Economics of Public Enterprises and Public Institutions
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1st Cycle
- 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Study field: Business Administration Module
- Lectures: 45
- Tutorial: 30
- Other forms of study: 15
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Veronika Petkovšek
1. Objectives and competences
- distinguishes the differences in the functioning of private and public enterprises and institutions,
- relates historical, legal, political, and socio-economic factors, which affect the operation of public enterprises and institutions,
- uses the knowledge in order to analyse peformance of public enterprise or institution,
- solves case study on business problems associated with particular organisation,
- constructs the fundamentals of business economics and planning in organisations.
- to understand and recognise the microeconomic functions of the company, either private or public,
- to understand the economics and management of public sector, with particular reference to public enterprises and institutions,
- to apply microeconomic tools for corporate planning, organising and financing,
- to place in context advancements in business studies related to public enterprise and institution operation,
- to generalise theory and practice of public enterprise or institution functioning.
- Definition of public enterprise and public institution
- Business and managerial economics in the public sector
- Activities and theory of the firm
- Basic issues in corporate finances
- The analysis of corporate financial and accounting statements
- Costs and pricing policy
- Ownership and corporate governance in public enterprises and institutions
- Strategic decision-making process
- Public-private partnerships and socio-economic importance of public enterprises and institutions
- Public enterprises and institutions in the arena of public utilities
- Performance measurement and analysis
- Investments and strategic issues in organisations
- PEVCIN, Primož (2010). Ekonomika javnih podjetij in javnih zavodov. Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana. 216 str.
- JONES, Trefor (2004). Business economics and managerial decision making, Wiley, London. Izbrana poglavja iz strateškega odločanja v podjetju, 140 str.
- ANTHONY, R.N., BREITNER, L.K. (2006). Essentials of Accounting, Prentice Hall, New York. Izbrana poglavja iz tematike računovodskih izkazov, 50 str.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will be able to understand business economics and corporate finance issues particularly related to public enterprises and institutions, will know to solve particular strategic, tactical or investment problem in organisation, and will be able to demonstrate competent judgements in business planning subjected to limited availability of information at the end of a period of learning.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- practical work
- case study
- problem based learning
Written and/or oral exam (100%)