639 Student Placement
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1st Cycle
- 3th year
- 8 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Study field: Public Administration and Business Administration Module
- Lectures: 10
- Other forms of study: 160
- Individual work: 70
- Lecturer: Jernej Buzeti, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- knows the legal aspects and specificities of working within the organisation, related to processes, programs and projects in the working environment,
- understands work in a working environment of an organisation, and the development of work competencies,
- understands the practical solving of a specific organization related problem within the Problem-Solving report with the support of a mentor from the organisation and a mentor at the faculty.
- use acquired inter/multidisciplinary knowledge in the field of study,
- using information communication technologies as a fundamental platform of organization operation,
- the ability to recognize problems and to generalise problems in practice,
- to develop objectively research or discussion paper based on the case study analysis, where certain problem is analysed,
- working habits, team work, the ability to communicate with co-workers, group leaders and management staff in organization and beyond,
- ability to use basic and advanced quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Getting acquired with learning environment from an organizational and content perspective.
- Getting acquainted with the functioning of the work organization.
- Practical work in the field of content in a particular administrative body, company or institution.
- During the student placement student is observing organization's operations and solving problems from administrative, legal, economical, organizational, political or informational aspects.
- Mentor in organization determines the content of the student program in accordance with the curriculum and based on the needs of the organization.
- Student in the organization defines the problem and prepares a Problem-Solving assignment under the supervision of a mentor from organization.
- Baird, B.N. (2001). The Internship, Practicum, and Field Placement Handbook: A Guide for the Helping Professions (3rd Edition).
- Devjak, S (2004). Kvantitativne metode za analize v upravi. 2. Ponatis (4. poglavje). Fakulteta za upravo: Ljubljana.
- Gido, J., Clements, J., Baker, R. (2017). Successful Project Management 7th Edition. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning
- Ivanko, Š. (2007). Raziskovanje in pisanje del : metodologija in tehnologija raziskovanja in pisanja strokovnih in znanstvenih del, Kamnik, Cubus image.
- Larson, E.W., Gray, C.F. (2018). Project Management: The Managerial Process. New York: Mcgraw-Hill Education
- McNabb, D. (2017). Research Methods in Public Administration and Nonprofit Management, Fourth edition. Abingdon, Oxon: Taylor & Francis.
- O'Sullivan, E. Rassel, G, Berner, M., Taliaferro, J. (2017). Research Methods for Public Administrators 6th Edition. Abingdon, Oxon: Taylor & Francis
- Stare, A (2011). Projektni management. Ljubljana: Agencija POTI d.o.o.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will be able:
- to work in a multidisciplinary environment of local, national or international organization and the development of competencies to work in a local, national or international environment,
- understand the functioning of organiazion and the importance of group relationships at the local, national or international level (role of a leader, work environment and work situations),
- solve complex, practical problems in the field of work of administrative body, organizacion or institution,
- transfer the theoretical knowledge to practical examples and to be trained for independent critical thinking and be capable of analysis and synthesis.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- Seminar on Student Placement.
- Coursework / project work.
- Problem based learning.
- Practical work and work on problem assignment under supervision of working mentor with a Problem-Solving report.
- Individual consultations with Mentor at the Faculty.
- Report on Student Placement and Work log (75%)
- Evaluation of mentor in the organisation (25%)
The student obtains a grade on the basis of the following conditions: Participation at the introduction seminar. Participation in competence events in a total range of at least 10 hours in the 2nd in 3rd study year. Competence events from the list defined in the annual work plan apply. Attendance at a thesis defence. Submission of work log. Submission of student evaluation questionnaire.