626 English 1
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1st Cycle
- 1st year
- 7 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Tutorial: 75
- Other forms of study: 30
- Individual work: 105
- Lecturer: Manica Danko, MA in TESOL
1. Objectives and competences
- improve their linguistic and communicative skills.
- understand oral and written texts in the field of administrative and managerial science.
- create written and oral texts in the context of their future job in administration.
- expand and use basic vocabulary in the field of administrative and managerial science.
- take part in the discussion.
- be able to promote their opinion on different tpics.
- use grammatical structures appropriate to the register.
- be able to find information on the Internet and report on it using English.
- create their presentation on a familiar topic in English.
- ability for written and spoken intercourse in every-day study and professional situations.
- ability to use aids (IT technology) searching for resources in English.
- skills for using professional literature in English.
- ability to lgain new knowledhe using English.
- positive attitude and tolearnce towards the speakers of foreign languages and cultural differences.
- earn English in the process of life-long learning.
- ability to work in team.
- Student of administration
- Word formation
- State administration and public administration
- Legal terminology
- UK civil service code
- Municipality and administrative unit
- Letter writing
- Waste management
- Reading strategies
- Courts and human rights
- Modal verbs of obligation
- Parliamentary system
- EU facts, history, institutions
- Career in public administration (CV writing)
- DANKO, Manica, ZAVAŠNIK ARČNIK, Mihaela. English for administration graduates. 2. ponatis. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 2014. 106 str.
- EASTWOOD, J. Oxford Practice Grammar Intermediate. Oxford University Press. 2008.
- PATERSON, K., WEDGE, R. Oxford Grammar for EAP: English Grammar and Practice for Academic Purposes. Oxford University Press. 2013.
- Poskusno angleško študijsko gradivo za študente.
- Spletni slovarji./Online dictionaries.
- EVROTERM - večjezična terminološka zbirka. Dostopna na spletu.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student consolidates their general English and acquires new vocabulary in the field of administrative sicence. English is used in every-day professional context at home and abroad. It is a useful tool for constructing new knowledge in study and work.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- langauge classes
- group presentation (10 %)
- e-learning (15 %)
- mid-term test (15 %)
- written exam (60 %)