0858 The European Union’s Constitutional Crisis
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 2nd or 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 30
- Other forms of study: 90
- Individual work: 60
- Lecturer: Alenka Kuhelj, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- to acquaint students with the roots and development of EU crisis,
- to acquaint students with EU crisis in constitutional context,
- to acquaint students with responses to EU crisis,
- to acquaint students with current political and social situation in EU and implication of financial crisis on that fields.
- EU crisis,
- responses on EU crisis,
- parallel between EU crisis and constitutional crisis,
- implication of EU crisis on constitutional rights,
- critically analyse current Political, Social and Constitutional situation in EU.
- Roots and development of European Union crisis;
- Is EU crisis also constitutional crisis?
- Current challenges and future prospects of EU;
- Responses to EU crisis (EU and member states);
- Political and social dimension of EU crisis;
- Social values and respect of rights in EU crisis;
- Berend T.I.: Europe in crisis : bolt from the blue?, New York ; London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2013
- Tuor K.: The European Financial Crisis – Constitutional Aspects and Implications, EUI Working Paper LAW 2012/28, dosegljivo na: cadmus.eui.eu/bitstream/handle/1814/24301/LAW_2012_28_Tuori.pdf
- Archick K.: The European Union: Current Challenges and Future Prospects, CRS Report for Congress, R44249, Library of Congress. Congressional Research Service, 2016, dosegljivo na: https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R44249.pdf
- Börzel T. A.: From EU Governance of Crisis to Crisis of EU Governance: Regulatory Failure, Redistributive Conflict, and Euroskeptic Publics, KFG Working Paper Series, No. 74, Kolleg-Forschergruppe (KFG) “The Transformative Power of Europe“, Freie Universität Berlin, 2016, dosegljivo na: www.polsoz.fu-berlin.de/en/v/transformeurope/publications/working_paper/wp/wp74/WP_74_Boerzel.pdf
- Kochenov D.: ‘Europe’s crisis of values’. Revista catalana de dret públic. No. 48 (2014), p. 106-118, 2014, dosegljivo na: revistes.eapc.gencat.cat/index.php/rcdp/article/viewFile/10.2436-20.8030.01.23/n48-kochenov-en.pdf
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- Students will understand the development of the European crisis.
- Constitutional Law of the EU.
- Students will acquire detailed and profound knowledge in the field of EU crisis and its implication on constitutional rights as well as vice versa (interdependence).
- Students will understand consequences of crisis in different fields of EU.
- Ability to critically analyse the EU's constitutional crisis.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- Preparation for lectures
- Preparation of the seminar
- Case Study
- Seminar paper (30%)
- Examination (written or oral) (70%)