853 Auditing of Public Sector Entities
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 2nd or 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 20
- Other forms of study: 70
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Tatjana Jovanović, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- Is familiar with the importance and basics of financial management in public sector;
- is able to manage theoretical concepts of auditing and the particularities of public sector auditing
- differs between different kinds of auditing and is able to manage basic methodology and the procedure of each one;
- is familiar with and able to connect the content and technique of accounting and auditing on one side with the assessment of the effectiveness, efficiency and performance budgeting on other side.
- understands and knows the basics of accounting system of the public sector;
- has a broader insight into the economics of the public sector with a focus on financial management;
- is well acquainted with the methodology of public sector auditing;
- has the ability of inter-connect the accounting and financial report auditing and separate them from other types of audits;
- is able to manage the meaning the public finance supervision for each of the public sector organization as well as for entitiesfor for an organization of the public sector as well as for the broader public benefit.
- Fundamentals of management of public sector organizations
- The basic concepts and legal basis for the field of public finance, accounting and auditing
- The role, categories and institutionalization of control (audit) of public spending in the country
- Inter-connection between the accounting and auditing
- The elements of the effective control over public finances
- Internal accounting
- External accounting (Court of Audit of the Republic of Slovenia)
- The methodology of auditing in public sector
- Auditing standards
- Audit Planning, Implementation and Control Planning
- Auditing, measuring of the effectiveness and efficiency and to target-oriented budgeting
- The role of audit in the effective financial management of public sector organizations
- INTOSAI (2005). Smernice za standarde notranjega kontroliranja za javni sector. Slovenski inštitut za revizijo, 78 strani;
- Coombs, Hugh M & Jenkins, David Ellis (2002). Public sector financial management. London : Thomson Learning, 316 strani; izbrana poglavja
- Bourn, John (2007). Public sector auditing : is it value for money?. Chichester , England.
- Turk, Ivan (1999). Priročnik za notranje revidiranje. Slovenski inštitut za revizijo, Ljubljana.
- Računsko sodišče (2006). Revizijski priročnik. Ljubljana, 500 strani, izbrana poglavja.
4. Intended learning outcomes
The student knows the importance and extent of the public sector auditing, particularly in the context of the control of public finances. The student understands and critically analyses and evaluates different kind of control from the provider of auditing perspective point of view as well as from the user's of the public finance perspective.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- case study
- seminar work
- presentation of the seminar work
- written or oral exam
- seminar work and oral presentation