842 Management in the Public Sector
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 2nd or 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Lectures: 20
- Other forms of study: 70
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Nina Tomaževič, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- students acquire the knowledge on the contents, methods and techniques of management and their usefulness for better performance of public sector organizations
- students acquire detailed knowledge about specifics of management in public sector and about the management functions
- students identify and understand the lines between quality and excellence as well as the tools and awards in Slovenian and European area and the field of change management as a special field of management
- students individually solve assignments in management and excellence
Course specific competencies:
- students will acquire ability to connect and transfer the knowledge in management, quality and excellence into praxis
- they will be able to recognize and analyse the problems in praxis in the field of business administration
- students will be able to explain and compare the situations in the fields of management, quality and excellence
- students will be able to form the suggestions for problem solving and their interpretation in administrative praxis
- they will be able to understand the praxis in management, quality and excellence in Slovenian and European context – both on the private and public sector
- they will develop the ability to collect the information and the ability to use the acquired information as well as the ability of written and oral communication in Slovene language
- they will develop the ability to speak and write as well as read and listen to intermediate level of English in concrete study situations.
- Management and related terms
- New public management
- Excelence tools and awards in Slovenia
- Excellence of public sector in EU
- Change management
- TOMAŽEVIČ, Nina. (2011). Družbena odgovornost in odličnost javne uprave. Upravna misel. 1. izd. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo. (Izbrana poglavja).
- ROZMAN, Rudi, KOVAČ, Jure. (2012). Management. Ljubljana: GV Založba.. 500 str.
- ROZMAN, Rudi. (1998). Kako prevesti management v slovenščino. Organizacija, (1), str. 5-18.
- ROZMAN, Rudi. (1998). Razmerje med ravnanjem in upravljanjem. Manager, str. 30-33.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding of management - basic and upgraded management categories, the frameworks of management in public sector, logical thinking, understanding the interconnections between specific fields within management and understanding of how the theoretical knowledge can be applied in practice.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- e-study: study materials, cases/assignments, articles, films
- Written (or oral) exam (100%)