720 Business English
- Study programme and level: Professional degree programme Administration 1nd Cycle
- 2nd or 3th year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Elective
- Tutorial: 30
- Other forms of study: 30
- Individual work: 120
- Lecturer: Manica Danko, MA in TESOL
1. Objectives and competences
- can write basic correspondence (formal letters, memos and emails),
- can listen and understand formal and informal spoken texts in business and informal situations,
- can summarise formal spoken and written texts,
- can use of familiar grammatical structures for effective written and spoken communication
- can approach business listening tasks (reports, conversations and discussions) with confidence and follow and participate in discussions based on simple reading texts,
- can deliver a confident and competent presentation related to a familiar study theme,
- can be a learner of English in the process of life-long learning,
- can express simple ideas related to their study programme in the field of economics, law and informatics specified formal business contexts,
- can use online dictionaries and other language tools.
- ability for written and spoken intercourse and the ability to read and undestand the texts in more demanding every-day study and professional situations,
- skills to work in an English –spoken interdisciplinary team,
- ability to appreciate the diversity and multiculturalism,
- capacity for applying knowledge in practice, for generating new ideas (creativity) and to adapt to new situations,
- ability to learn.
- Teamwork, communication (REVIEW: Present tenses, Present Perfect)
- Ordering, cash flow (Intentions, arrangements, conditionals 1,2)
- Brand power, public relations (Future tenses, articles)
- Relocation, new premises (Comparatives, superlatives, participles)
- Reporting results, green initiatives (Adjectives, adverbs, determiners)
- Health and safety (Modal verbs, Passive)
- Business expenses (Relative pronouns, indirect questions)
- Business travel
- Flexible benefits (gerunds, infinitives)
- WOOD, I. Pass Cambridge BEC Higher (2nd Edition). 2012. Summertown Publishing. 182 str.
- PLEDGER, Pat: Express: English for Human Resources Student's Book and MultiROM. 2007. Oxford University Press. (80 strani).
- MACKENZIE, Ian: Professional English in Use Finance. 2006. Cambridge University Press. (izbrana poglavja).
- MASCULL, Bill: Business Vocabulary in Use Advanced. 2004. Cambridge University Press. (izbrana poglavja).
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will business English in every day study or professional life in spoken or written communication, further study and successful work.
English will be an effective tool in the search for information on the internet. They will use English for networking in their future professional environment.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- language classes in cooperation with the current study courses (presentation, seminar paper in English)
- group work presentations
- Test (listening comprehension) (20 %)
- Presentation with glossary (in combination with a content course) (20 %)
- Written exam (60 %)