586 Information Systems And Computer Networks Security
- Study programme and level: Master’s joint study programme Management in Administration 2nd Cycle
- 2nd year
- 7 ECTS
- Course type: proffesional elective
- Lectures: 21
- Seminar: 11
- Other study activities: 118
- Individual work: 60
- Language: English, Serbian, Slovene
- Lecturer: Dejan Simić, PhD
1. Content (Syllabus outline)
Basic concepts of protection of information systems and networks. Security threats and risks that appear most frequently in practice.
Models of care, access control mechanisms, different aspects of the protection system.
Applied Cryptography. Secret key encryption techniques, access control system, working with digital certificates. Systems for detecting and preventing attacks, protecting electronic mail network protection, protection of databases,
Web security and protection of electronic payment systems. Analysis of examples and case studies, discussion of the characteristics of phenomena, defining measures.Practical training: Exercises: Basic concepts of computer network security. Methods of risk management. Methods of social engineering. Protocols for the protection of computer networks. Examples of maliciousprograms in computer networks. Examples of application of cryptography in computer networks.Steganography. Web protection. Authentication methods. The application of smart cards in the computer networks. Implementation of PKI. Application of firewalls.
- Stallings W., Network Security Essentials: Applications and Standards, Fourth Edition, Pearson Education Inc., 2011.
- Winkler Vic (J.R.), Securing the Cloud: Cloud Computer Security Techniques and Tactics, Elsevier Inc., 2011.
- Simić D., Organizacija računara i operativni sistemi, FON, Beograd, 2011.
- Wang J, Computer Network Security: Theory and Practice, Springer Higher Education Press, 2009.
- Salomon D., Elements of Computer Security, Springer-Verlag London Limited, 2010.
3. Objectives and competences
Acquiring knowledge about possible threats, attacks and safeguards that are relevant to Internet and Webservices, the basic principles and techniques and mechanisms for protecting information systems andcomputer networks, different methodological approaches and implementation of protection. The competences are: Analysis of the potential threats and vulnerabilities of information systems and computer networks; Analysis of the computer networks and information systems security needs of an organization; Compare and contrast different computer technologies and security solutions including hardware, software, networks, servers, routers, firewalls, etc.
4. Intended learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding:
Students will learn to apply the measure, techniques and mechanisms of protection.
5. Learning and teaching methods:
Classes consist of lectures, solving case studies, literature study, work in teams, making projects.
Type (examination, oral, coursework, project):
- Project assignments 20%
- Student paper 20%
- Oral or written exam 60%