578 Leadership In Public Administration
- Study programme and level: Master’s joint study programme Management in Administration 2nd Cycle
- 2nd year
- 7 ECTS
- Course type: proffesional elective
- Lectures: 21
- Seminar: 11
- Other study activities: 118
- Individual work: 60
- Language: English, Serbian, Slovene
- Lecturer: Janez Stare, PhD
1. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Approaches to leadership
- Theory of Leadership
- Public leadership
- Special features of leadership in public administration
- Position of leaders in public administration
- Potential and image of leaders
- Power and autority of leaders
- Competencies of leaders
- Developing leaders
- Democracy and public leadership
- Leadership and reform of public administration
- Stare, Janez, Seljak, Janko: Vodenje ljudi v upravi: povezanost osebnostnega potenciala za vodenje z uspešnostjo vodenja. Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana, 2013.
- Howieson Brian, Hodges Julie: Public and Third Sector Leadership, Experience Speaks. Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2014.
- Northouse, Peter, G.: Leadership theory and practice. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, 2003.
- Brezovšek Marjan, Kukovič Simona: Javno vodenje: sodobni Izzivi. Fakulteta za družbene vede, Ljubljana, 2014.
3. Objectives and competences
- identify and understand differences and similarities between leadership in the private sector and public administration
- present a significant leadership concepts in public administration
- verifies leadership competency
- identify factors for successful leadership
- assess of the effectiveness of leadership.
- the possibility of defining specific elements of leadership in public administration
- understanding the role and position of leader in the public administration
- mastery of leadership as a way of managing social situations
- ability to independently analyze leadership competencies
- the ability to verify the effectiveness of leadership.
4. Intended learning outcomes:
The student understands the specific of leadership in public administration. It identifies the different concepts of leadership and the criteria and factors for successful leadership. Understands the role and status of leaders in public administration. Performance management linked to competence and developing leaders.
5. Learning and teaching methods:
- practical work
- (group) presentation
- case study
- Active participation (lectures, e-learning, forum, ..) 30%
- Presentation of seminar (course work, project work) 30%
- Written or oral exam 40%
Final assessment of the course is the sum of the time commitments (oral exam, written exam) and other partial estimates of commitments for this period.