574 Human Resource Management In Public Sector
- Study programme and level: Master’s joint study programme Management in Administration 2nd Cycle
- 2nd year
- 7 ECTS
- Course type: proffesional elective
- Lectures: 21
- Seminar: 11
- Other study activities: 118
- Individual work: 60
- Language: English, Serbian, Slovene
- Lecturer: Janez Stare, PhD
1. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Methods and functions of HRM
- Employee motivation
- Training and development
- Ethics in public sector
- Job analysis and job design
- Public sector culture
- Developments in HRM
- Boxall,P.,Purcell,J. Wright, P.: Human resource management, Oxford university press 2007.
- Brejc,M.: Ljudje in organizacija v javni upravi, 2. dopolnjena izdaja, Fakulteta za upravo, Ljubljana 2004.
- Johnson, C.E.:Ethics in the workplace, Sage publications, London 2007.
- Torrington,D., Hill,L.: Personnel Management, Prentice Hall, London 1995.
- The status of public officials in Europe, Council of Europe, 2000.
3. Objectives and competences
- examine and compare the Slovenian legislation and practice with the arrangements in some countries of the European Union.
- understand the main features of human resource management, its European perspective, processes of change in this area in the European Union and the necessity of creating new organizational forms
- distinction between approaches to human resources management
- evaluate new approaches to human resources management
- carried out a comparative study to develop a critical distance to both theoretical and empirical sources, ability to analyze concrete cases, it lays the groundwork for solving organizational problems.
- ability to comprehend the characteristics of HRM in Slovenian and EU context
- ability to plan and implement new organisational forms and approaches in HRM
- ability to motivate public servants
- ability to explain and consolidate the values of modern public administration
- ability to independently research problems in designated areas in public administration.
4. Intended learning outcomes:
The student understands the processes of public administration and the role of people in it. He is able to analyze and understand complex theoretical and empirical resources by field of study and carry out a critical analysis of cases in practice.
5. Learning and teaching methods:
- practical work
- case study
written (and / or oral) examination