Strategic Marketing in Public Sector
- Study programme and level:The joint doctoral study programme Governance and Economics in the Public Sector (third cycle)
- 2nd year
- 5 ECTS
- Course type: Elective course
- Lectures: 20
- Seminar: 20
- Other forms of study: 20
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Ivana First Komen, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- Analyses theoretical framework and models of market change,
- Adapts to new market conditions,
- Critically reviews scientific papers in the field of public sector marketing,
- Recognises scientific and metodological contribution of a research,
- Defines the future of institution in public sector and defines its targt market,
- Conducts market resarch for the public sector needs,
- Identifies and evaluates public institution's strengths and weaknesses and environmental threaths and possibilities,
- Applies product and market development strategies,
- Propagates a scientific opinion on organization's marketing implementation processes,
- Applies control process and measures success of strategy implementation and market goals fullfilment.
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Analysis of theoretical frameworks and models of market chang
- Studying adaptation to new conditions by transformation of marketing system
- Technology of scientific research of micro and macro marketing environment
- Scientific basis of strategic market performance of public sector
- Research aimed at determining characteristics of public sector marketing mix
- Implementation processes, definition of marketing organisation structure and control of marketing performance
- Important marketing trends in public sector
- Hunt, D. S., Foundations of Marketing Theory, M.E. Sharpe, London, 2002
- Journal of Public Policy and Marketing
- Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing
- Lee, N.R., Kotler, Ph., Marketing in the Public Sector: A Roadmap for Improved Performance, Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will be fully acquainted with research skills and methods for strategic marketing in the public sector. Student will contribute to development of knowledge in the field of strategic marketing in the public sector.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- Team work research.
- Video case studies.
- Debate and discussion on studied topics.
- Individual study for the exam.
Research paper and its presentation 50%