Strategic Management in the Public Sector 3
- Study programme and level:The joint doctoral study programme Governance and Economics in the Public Sector (third cycle)
- 2nd year
- 5 ECTS
- Course type: Elective course
- Lectures: 20
- Seminar: 20
- Other forms of study: 20
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Primož Pevcin, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- uses the most important knowledge and skills needed for successful planning and implementation of strategic change.,
- discovers and generates the most important platforms for strategic changes/improvements such as the concept of New Public Management and Total Quality Management (TQM),
- distinguishes and appraises the differences in change management concepts between private and public sector organisations,
- applies the tools of strategic change management in public organisations.
- to understand the importance of planning and chnage management in organisational practice,
- to critically evaluate and implement changes in public organisations as prerequisite to marry theory and practice of advanced strategic management,
- to place in the context the available managerial tools for strategic change implementation in organisations,
- to understand the importance and roles of relevant stakeholders in the process of strategic change planning and organisational innovating,
- to deal with information needed to effectivelly evaluate and implement desired changes in organisation,
- to format and conduct applied research in problem solving issues in the field of strategic management in public organisations.
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Management and Planning
- General sources of strategic change in public sector
- SWOT analyses
- Theory and practice of Balanced Scorecard application in public organisations
- New public management
- Strategic planning and strategic management
- Specificalities of strategic management in public organisations
- Strategic planning in public organizations
- Approaches to Strategic Planning
- The role of founders and public policies for the strategic change in public organizations
- John Bryson, Strategic Planning for Public and Non-profit organizations, John Wiley & Sons, 2011, (4th edition). Poglavja 1–12 (400 str.)
- Michael A. Hitt et.al., Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases, South-Western Cengage Lerning, 2012, (10th edition), Poglavja 4-9 (200 str.)
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will know how to identify the needs for strategic changes in public organisations and to construct and implement research in the field; will also know how to implement those changes in most effective way; is able to competently advance professional and scientific questions in the field of strategic management and change management in public organisations at the end of a period of learning.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- Lectures and seminars in class room; individual study and research work of students.
- Lectures – contemporary topics in theory and practice of strategic management are presented.
- Seminars – students present topics and results of applied research work.
- Other – preparation of applied research paper dealing with advanced managerial problem on strategic level in selected public organisation.
- Individual study for the exam.
Applied research paper preparation and presentation - 50%
Oral exam - 50%