Intelectual Capital and Knowledge Economy
- Study programme and level:The joint doctoral study programme Governance and Economics in the Public Sector (third cycle)
- 2nd year
- 5 ECTS
- Course type: Elective course
- Lectures: 20
- Seminar: 20
- Other forms of study: 20
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Dragomir Sundać, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- Gain principal knowledge about intellectual capital as a resource for sustainable economic development and reproduction within knowledge based economy.
- General competence (knowledge): To know all aspects of intellectual capital in knowledge economy.
- Specific competence (skill): Acquire skills to use intellectual capital as a resource in knowledge economy for the needs of sustainable economic development.
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Knowledge economy: emergence, trends, implications
- Intangible assets as creator of added value in a firm and in national economy
- Knowledge based economy
- Theory of intellectual capital
- Definition and structure of intellectual capital
- Measurement of intellectual capital
- Management of intellectual capital
- Development perspectives of intellectual capital
- Pulić, A., Sundać, D. (2001), Intelektualni kapital - ključni resurs 21. stoljeća, Rijeka: IBCC.
- Sundać, D. (ur.) (2002), Znanje – temeljni ekonomski resurs, Rijeka: Ekonomski fakultet Rijeka.
- Foray, D. (2004), Economics of Knowledge, Cambridge, MIT Press.
4. Intended learning outcomes
Students sill acquire capacity to use intellectual capital as economic resource within knowledge economy.
5. Learning and teaching methods
- Lectures in interactive relations with students
- Seminars that cover individuall topics with active involvement of all students
- Case analyses: theory and practice
- Individual student activities in researching intellectual capital and knowledge economy
Preparation of research paper (critical approach) on agreed topic, and oral presentation of paper 100%