Financial Reporting in Public Sector
- Study programme and level:The joint doctoral study programme Governance and Economics in the Public Sector (third cycle)
- 2nd year
- 5 ECTS
- Course type: Elective course
- Lectures: 20
- Seminar: 20
- other forms of study: 20
- Individual work: 90
- Lecturer: Davor Vašiček, PhD
1. Objectives and competences
- to introduce students to the fundamental functional and institutional characteristics of the business processes in the public sector,
- to explain and clarify global trends in the harmonization of public and private sector reporting systems,
- to introduce students to the content, possibilities and consequences of International Public Sector Accounting Standards appliance,
- to enable students to understand the techniques and methods of preparing the General Government consolidated financial statements,
- to enable students to critically reflect on the public sector efficiency.
- the transfer of theoretical knowledge to practical knowledge,
- new knowledge enhancement and increasing the understanding of the government economic activities,
- encouraging research in the field of public sector reform,
- understanding of government entities’ financial reporting and reports’ analysis, and conducting such activities independently.
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Concepts of Accounting in Governmental Accounting
- The Convergence of Financial and Statistical Reporting Systems
- Institutional and functional coverage of Public Sector and Public Sector financial reporting objectives.
- Governmental accounting in EU countries and International Public Sector Accounting Standards’ implementation
- The Financial Reports of Government Business Entities
- The Financial Reports of Budget Entities
- The Consolidation of Financial Reports
- Managerial Accounting and financial reports for internal Users
- IFAC – IPSASB : »2013. Handbook of Public Sector International Accounting Standards Pronouncement« , NY, IFAC, (countinusly available free of charge) on www.ifac.com
- Van Greuning, H., Darell, Scott; Terblanche,Simonet: International Financial Reporting Standards – A Practical Guide, World bank, Washington, D. C., IV edition, 2011.
- Larkin, R. F., DiTomaso M., Not for Profit GAAP 2011, John Wiiley & Sons Inc, NJ 2011
4. Intended learning outcomes
Student will develop new skills in the field o financial reporting in the public sector. Students will contribute to the successful public sector reform.
5. Learning and teaching methods
Lectures and Individual study for the exam.
Written exam 100%