2011 Public policy analysis
- Study programme and level: Master’s Degree Programme Administration- Public sector governance 2nd Cycle
- 2nd year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 21
- Seminar: 11
- Other forms of study: 88
- Individual work: 60
- Lecturer: Stanka Setnikar Cankar, PhD, Mitja Durnik, PhD
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Introduction to policy analysis: the academic environment vs. real social problems;
- The theoretical aspects and models of the design of public policies;
- The question of method: classical positivism and critical alternatives
- The public and policy-making participative behavior and awareness;
- Structure of policy problem: creativity in determining the content;
- Evaluation and assessment of the effects of public policies;
- Developing the argument in the policy-making process;
- The rational choice and rational decision making;
- The conceptual challenges of public policies: idealism of effectiveness and efficiency;
- Democratic deficit and deregulation process in the European Union: the case of free trade agreements;
- Socially desirable choice in a time of crisis
- The interdependence of the economy and the public sector and public-private partnership.
- Peters, G. B. (2015). Advanced Introduction to Public Policy. Edvard Elgar Publishing (224 strani).
- Setnikar-Cankar, S., Petkovšek, V. (2015). Government challenges in Slovenia at a time of global economic crisis and austerity measures. V: Massey A. (Ured.), MILLER, K. J. (Ured.). The international handbook of public administration and governance. Cheltenham, UK; Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar, str. 399-415 (16 strani).
- Bekkers, Fenger, M.B. and Scholten, P. (2017). Public Policy in Action: Perspectives on the Policy Process. Edward Elgar Publishing (360 strani) (cca 100 strani izbranih poglavij).
- Lodge, M, Page, E.C., Balla, S.J. (Eds.) (2015). The Oxford Handbook of Classics in Public Policy and Administration. Oxford: Oxford University Press (672 strani) (cca 150 strani).
- DURNIK, M. (2020). Community Development: Local Immigration Partnerships in Canada and Implications for Slovenia. Acta geographica Slovenica, 60(1), str. 155–168 (13 strani).
4. Objectives and competences
- the ability of multidisciplinary understanding of the context of policy making;
- possible solution of the most difficult problems in public and business administration with methods of policy analysis ;
- recognition of the state's mechanisms that has available for its operation and methodology for monitoring and evaluation of its operations.
- the ability to predict the potential impacts and consequences of the monitoring of public policy;
- the ability to prepare the material for the analysis of specific cases;
- the vision to understand and apply methods of critical analyzes and development of theories; the application of knowledge to solve specific problems in the field of public policy ,
- the ability to analyse, synthesise and evaluate public policy content;
- the ability of creative thinking and application of new knowledge.
5. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- wider theoretical knoweldge of the administrative and political approaches to research and evaluation in the social sciences;
- the ability of using advanced methodological approaches in policy analysis;
- understanding of the relationship between the state, supranational authorities (policy-makers and officials), corporate actors, civil society and users of public services;
- understanding of communication processes in the public policy making, in particular communication with the public.
6. Learning and teaching methods
- preparations for lectures
- preparations for seminars
- research work
- seminar paper
- written exam (50%)
- intermediate tasks and active participation in lectures and seminars (10%)
- research work (20%)
- seminar paper (20%)
8. Lecturer's references
doc. dr. Mitja Durnik
- DURNIK, M. (2020). Community Development: Local Immigration Partnerships in Canada and Implications for Slovenia. Acta geographica Slovenica, 60(1), str.155–168.
- DURNIK, M. (2020). Economy, Trade, Convergence and Cross-Border Economic Cooperation. In: Ditictionary of cross-border cooperation (forthcoming).
- DURNIK, M. (2019). Kanadska politika priseljevanja in izvajanje javnih politik. V: Pečarič, M. (Ured.), Stare, J. (Ured.), Javna uprava fokusna skupina za družbene spremembe = Public administration - a focus group for societal changes, (Zbirka znanstvenih monografij Upravna misel, 1. izd.). Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo.
- DURNIK, M. (2017). Slovenian immigrants and the ethnic economy in contemporary Canada. Dve domovini: razprave o izseljenstvu (46), str. 103-118.
- DURNIK, M. 2016. Demokratični deficit, participativno vrednotenje javnih politik in politična ekonomija prostotrgovinskih sporazumov: primer iniciative "Stop TTIP". V: DEČMAN, M. (Ured.), Učinkovitost storitev + demokratičnost oblasti = dobro upravljanje? : ezbornik referatov (1. izd). Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo.
prof. dr. Stanka Setnikar Cankar
- Vitezić. N., Setnikar Cankar, S., LIN, Ž. (2019).Effectiveness measurement using DEA & BSC methods in public health services. The NISPAcee journal of public administration and policy, 12(1), str. 199-216. https://content.sciendo.com/view/journals/nispa/12/1/article-p199.xml.
- JORDAN, G., SETNIKAR-CANKAR, S., MARIČ, M. (2017). Povezava vplivnosti in zadovoljstva z delom: primer visokošolskih učiteljev iz šestih držav CEE. V: DEČMAN, M. (Ured.), Javna uprava kot gonilo družbe : e-zbornik člankov (1. izd). Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo. www.fu.uni-lj.si/fileadmin/usr-files/Zalozba/DSU2017_E-zbornik_clankov.pdf.
- SETNIKAR-CANKAR, S., STANIMIROVIĆ, D. (2020). Healthcare in Slovenia : progress, stagnation and the need for further reform. V: OKMA, Kieke G. H. (Ured.), TENBENSEL, Tim (Ured.), Health reforms across the world : the experience of twelve small and medium-sized nations with changing their healthcare systems. Singapore: World Scientific, str. 205-227. https://www.worldscientific.com/doi/pdf/10.1142/9789813225619_0001,