2015 Legal aspects of human resource management in administration
- Study programme and level: Master’s Degree Programme Administration- Public sector governance 2nd Cycle
- 2nd year
- 6 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 15
- Seminar: 8
- Other forms of study: 97
- Individual work: 60
- Lecturer: Zvone Vodovnik, PhD
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Management as a science, human resource management as a special interdisciplinary science and legal acts and regulations.
- Constitutional and international acts about the relations between the employees and employers and its use.
- The analyses of the legal position of the employees in the public sector, considering the monist theory of employment relations.
- Employment procedure in the public sector.
- Rights, duties and responsibilities of the civil servants.
- The decision making process in the area of employment relations in public sector.
- The termination of the employment relations of civil servants.
- Social dialogue in private and in public sector.
- Collective bargaining in the public sector.
- The employees' participation in the public sector.
- Prevention and resolution of labour disputes in the public sector.
- The strike in the public sector.
- Vodovnik, Z., Tičar L. , 2016. Osnove delovnega in socialnega prava, Gospodarski vestnik, Ljubljana, 200 strani.
- Vodovnik, Z., Tičar L., 2014. Pravni položaj javnih uslužbencev in monizem delovnih razmerij = The legal postition of the civil servants and monism of the employment relations. 1. izd. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 150 strani.
- Zakonodaja in sodna praksa s področja delovnih in uslužbenskih razmerij.
4. Objectives and competences
- Getting to know special regulation of the employment relationships in public sector
- Understanding of processes of decision making in works units of the public sector
- To get acquainted with rights, duties and responsibilities of managers in the field of employment relationship in public sector
- Getting to know special methods and modes of prevention and resolution of disputes between employees and employers of public sector.
- Knowledge about human resource management and about the special regulation of employment relationships in the public sector.
- The qualification of managers for deciding on the legal position of civil servants.
- The qualification of managers for regulation of the employment relationships such as to stimulate work efficiency of civil servants.
- Obtaining the knowledge and ability for efficient communications between managers and employees of public sector.
5. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding:
- Knowledge about the international and national regulation of the legal system and about the characteristics of the civil servants law in it.
- Understanding of the labour law principles and ability for their use in creating and implementing the legal regulations.
- Acquainted knowledge about the working conditions of civil servants and the ability to evaluate the relation between the regulation and implementation of the regulation.
- Knowledge about legal regulation of the communications between managers and civil servants and the ability to provide improvements in this area.
- Knowledge and understanding of international law concerning civil servants legal position.
6. Learning and teaching methods
- preparations for lectures
- preparations for seminars
- research work
- written or oral exam 60 %
- active participation in seminar activities 30 %
- results of research work 10 %
9. Lecturer's references
- VODOVNIK, Zvone. Employment relationships in the public sector - a balance between the state, local and autonomous regulations. Lex localis, ISSN 1581-5374, jul. 2013, vol. 11, no. 3, str. 497-512.
- VODOVNIK, Zvone, TIČAR, Luka. Pravni položaj javnih uslužbencev in monizem delovnih razmerij = The legal postition of the civil servants and monism of the employment relations. 1. izd. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 2014.
- VODOVNIK, Zvone. Ustavni okviri razvoja delovnega in socialnega prava. Delavci in delodajalci, ISSN 1580-6316, 2012, letn. 12, [št.] 2/3, str. 263-298. kategorija: 1C (Z);
- VODOVNIK, Zvone. Authoritative regulation of employment relations or social dialogue in the public sector - Slovenian case. V: KUHELJ, Alenka (ur.), SETNIKAR-CANKAR, Stanka (ur.). 4th International Symposium on the Development of Public Administration in South East Europe, June 17-18, 2011,
- VODOVNIK, Zvone, KORPIČ-HORVAT, Etelka. Labour law in Slovenia. 2nd ed. Alphen aan den Rijn: Kluwer Law International, cop. 2015. 334 str.
- VODOVNIK, Zvone. Osnove delovnega in socialnega prava = The bases of labour and social law : e-knjiga. 1. e-izdaja. Ljubljana: IUS Software, GV založba, 2015.