2003 Leadership in public administration
- Study programme and level: Master’s Degree Programme Administration- Public sector governance 2nd Cycle
- 1st year
- 8 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 28
- Seminar: 14
- Other forms of study: 118
- Individual work: 80
- Lecturer: Janez Stare, PhD
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- The nature of leadership
- Approaches to leadership
- Defining public sector leadership
- Effective leadership
- Complexity of relationships at work
- Authority and obedience
- Dynamics of relations in the group
- Leadership and learning organizations
- Emotions and leadership
- Leadership in business models
- The potential and the competence of leaders
- Leadership development
- Harvard Business Review (2011). HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership. Harvard Business Review.
- Howieson, B., Hodges, J. (2014). Public and Third Sector Leadership, Experience Speaks. Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Milner, E., Joyce, P. (2005). Lessons in Leadership. Meeting the Challenges of Public Services Management.
- Sadler, P. (2003). Leadership. MBA Maserclass, Kogan Page, London, 195. str.
4. Objectives and competences
- understands nature of leadership
- presents a significant leadership concepts in public administration
- understands and is able to manage the complexity of relationships at work
- is able to identify effective leadership
- verifies leadership competency
- identify factors of effective leadership
- recognizes meaningful measures of development leaders.
- capability of defining specific elements of leadership
- understanding of the particularities of public sector leadership
- managing the complexity of relations at work
- ability to analyse the factors of successful leadership
- to design measures of development leaders.
5. Intended learning outcomes
Knowledge and understanding
Student will be able:
- to understand the specific of leadership in public administration
- to identifies the different concepts of leadership and the criteria and factors of effective leadership
- to understand the relationship between leadership performance, of relationships at work, competence and development of leaders.
6. Learning and teaching methods
- group work and leading a group of people
- (group) presentation of report
- case study
- problem based learning
- individual tutorial
- Written or oral examination (condition: positive evaluation of the exam) 60 %
- Active participation (individual and/or group work, e-learning, test, essay) group work and report (report of project work, oral presentation of project work) 40 %
Final assessment of the course is the sum of the written (and / or oral) examination and other partial estimates of commitments that are finished before the time of examination.
8. Lecturer's references
- STARE, J., SELJAK, J. (2013). Vodenje ljudi v upravi : povezanost osebnostnega potenciala za vodenje z uspešnostjo vodenja, (Upravna misel). 2. ponatis. V Ljubljani: Univerza, Fakulteta za upravo.
- STARE, J., PEZDIR, M., BOŠTJANČIČ, E. (2013). Links between perceived leadership styles and self-reported coping strategies. Psihologijske teme, ISSN 1332-0742, vol. 22, no. 3, str. 413-430.
- STARE, J., BOŠTJANČIČ, E., BUZETI, J., KLUN, M., KOZJEK, T., TOMAŽEVIČ, N., STARE, J. (urednik). (2012). Boljše delovno okolje za boljše sodelovanje : [priročnik]. 1. izd. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo.
- IVANKO, Š., STARE, J. (2007). Organizacijsko vedenje. V Ljubljani: Fakulteta za upravo.
- STARE, J., GRUDEN, B., KOVAČ, P. (2008). The Management of complaints in Slovene public administration. Organizacija (Kranj), jan.-feb. 2008, letn. 41, št. 1, str. 22-30.