774 Administrative procedure law
- Study programme and level: Master’s Degree Programme Administration- Public sector governance 2nd Cycle
- 1st year
- 8 ECTS
- Course type: Core
- Lectures: 28
- Seminar: 14
- Other forms of study: 118
- Individual work: 80
- Lecturer: Polonca Kovač, PhD
2. Content (Syllabus outline)
- Good (Public) Governance with the role of administrative processes and law in it.
- Rights of Good Administration by Charter of Fundamental Rights of the EU and European case law.
- Functions of administrative procedures and law through the rights of defense in the constitutional framework. Equal protection of rights in special procedures. De minimis principle. Vested right theory.
- Europeanization of administrative procedures through the function of public policies’ implementation. Key trends. Red tape reduction. One-stop-shop.
- Types of administrative relations, acts and norms in Slovenia, the EU and selected countries. Convergence trends. Relation substantive v. procedure law.
- Fundamental administrative procedural law principles in the EU and Slovenia. Legality, independence, public interest protection. Impartiality.
- Substantive truth. Fictions. Evidence giving.
- Rights to information and to be heard. Prescribed and reasonable time of decision-making.
- Jurisdiction, devolution, delegation, requisition. Parties and other participants. Communication.
- Key rules of and infringement effects in individual phases of the procedure, based on inquisitory and dispositive principles.
- Efficiency of legal remedies. Alternative administrative disputes resolution.
- Judicial and other review forms on legality and appropriateness of administrative acts.
- Jerovšek, T., Kovač, P. (2019). Upravni postopek in upravni spor. 2. izdaja/ponatis. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 200 str.
- Kovač, P. (2021). Praktikum za upravno procesno pravo. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo, 50 str.
- Avbelj, M. et al. (2019). Komentar Ustave RS. Nova Gorica: Nova univerza, EPF, izbranih 30 str.
- Kovač, P. (2019): Principles of administrative procedure in selected CEE countries : between national legacies and European trends. V: Public Administration in a Democratic Society, Dubrovnik, Croatia [Zagreb]: Institute of Public Administration. https://iju.hr/ipsa/2019/papers/ip19p2.pdf.
- Kovač, P. (2020). Kodifikacija upravnega postopka v Sloveniji in EU, Teorija in praksa, let. 57, št. 2, https://www.fdv.uni-lj.si/revije/znanstvene-revije/teorija-in-praksa
- Kerševan, E., Androjna, V., (2017). Upravno procesno pravo. Ljubljana: GV založba, izbranih cca 80 str.
- Auby, J.B. et al., (2014). Codification of Administrative Procedure. Bruxelles: Bruylant ali Hofmann, H.C.H. et al. (2014): ReNEUAL Model Rules on EU Administrative Procedure, www.reneual.eu/images/Home/ReNEUAL-Model_Rules-Compilation_BooksI_VI_2014-09-03.pdf
- Koprić, I. et al. (2016). Legal Remedies in Administrative Procedures in Western Balkans. ReSPA, www.respaweb.eu/11/library, izbranih 20 str.
- Kovač, P., Jukić, T. (2017): Recent regional developments in red tape reduction. Lex Localis , vol. 15 (3), 433-457, pub.lex-localis.info/index.php/LexLocalis/article/view/15.3.433-457%282017%29
- Dragos, D.C., Kovač, P., Tolsma, H.D. (2020). The Sound of Silence in European Administrative Law. Palgrave Macmillan, izbranih 50 strani.
4. Objectives and competences
- understanding and assessment of elements of public governance, good administration, administrative procedures and (administrative procedural) law and relations among them
- critical assessment of trends in administrative procedural law in Slovenian and European space
- ability to interpret meaning and contents of fundamental administrative procedural principles
- analysis and problem-solving of complex problems
- development of team work, networking and field ethics
- ability to innovatively and critically assess key field concepts
- ability to autonomously resolve complex administrative procedural problems through lenses of good administration principles
- ability to conduct innovative (comparative) legal analysis and research work
- ability to reflect and perform legal and ethical evaluation
- ability to constructively net- and teamwork
- ability to use professional terminology in Slovenian ad English
5. Intended learning outcomes
Student know how to:
- explain, assess and develop the innovative role of APL and rights of GA within good public governance
- summarize and analyze fundamental APL principles in the EU and Slovenia
- compare and classify significant APL rules
- analyze complex procedural problems and judge, which principles to apply in these situations
- categorize and argue what are the types of administrative acts and consequential legal protection of parties
6. Learning and teaching methods
- preparations for lectures
- preparations for seminars
- project group (analysis of case-law and administrative practice, comparative analyses, cooperation within research project, field work, inter-curricular collaboration)
- problem based learning
- study consultation
- guest lecture from practice
- written and/or oral examination 60 %
- interim assignments and active collaboration within lectures and seminars 10 %
- group seminar work analysis of case studies with a report 30 %
8. Lecturer's references
- Kovač, P., Kerševan, E. (ur.) (2020). ZUP s komentarjem. Ljubljana: Uradni list RS in PF UL.
- Dragos, D.C., Kovač, P., Tolsma, H.D. (2020). The Sound of Silence in European Administrative Law. Legal and Empirical Insights in Selected Jurisdictions. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Jerovšek, T., Kovač, P. (2019). Upravni postopek in upravni spor. Ljubljana: Fakulteta za upravo.
- Kovač, P., v Avbelj, M. (2019). Komentar Ustave RS (komentar k členom 22, 23, 25 in 157; Del 1: str. 189-197, 228-232, 248-255, Del 2: str. 420-430). Nova Gorica: Nova univerza, EPF.
- Kovač, P. (2020). Kodifikacija upravnega postopka v Sloveniji in EU, Teorija in praksa, let. 57, št. 2.
- Kovač, P. (2018). Potentials of administrative procedures as a participatory tool within governance models in Central and Eastern Europe. Danube, vol. 9, issue 4, str. 227-244.
- Kovač, P. (2016). The requirements and limits of the codification of administrative procedures in Slovenia according to European trends. Review of central and east European law, 41(3/4) 427-461.